Read Time 2 Minutes
Who knew a cemetery could be a fun place to hang out? Birmingham’s oldest cemetery, Oak Hill, is hosting several family-friendly events this fall. You can’t miss them!
1. Tour Oak Hill Cemetery
Did you know that Oak Hill is older than Birmingham itself? The cemetery was already an established burial ground by the time of Birmingham’s founding in 1871.
Now that the Birmingham summer heat is finally starting to go away, it is the perfect time to visit Oak Hill. There are several ways you can tour the cemetery!
- Time: Public tours begin at 10am and last 60 minutes
- Price: $10 for adults, $7 for seniors and students. Make sure to bring your student ID or driver’s license!
- Tour length: 60-90 minutes
- Group size: no minimum group size
- Price: $10 for adults, $7 for seniors and students. Minimum group fee of $60, and groups must pay a $30 deposit
If you’d like to tour Oak Hill at your own pace, the park is open to the public from sunrise to sunset every day of the week. Make sure to stop by the tour center to get the most out of your tour!
2. Come to the Fall History Festival
Have you ever wanted to ask a question to one of Birmingham’s founders?
- Date: Sunday, November 10th
- Time: Tours at 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm
- Where: Oak Hill Cemetery, 1120 19th Street North
- Tickets: $15, available online
- Parking: No parking within the cemetery, but there is street parking nearby
3. Watch a movie in Oak Hill Cemetery
Plan 9 from Outer Space
- Date: Saturday, October 5th
- Time: 6pm-10pm
- Tickets: $7.02, available online
- Family friendly? The film is not suitable for children under 12
Just make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into – watching a horror movie in a cemetery is a scary double-whammy!