Gear up on Sunday, September 29th to walk through downtown Birmingham in the Alzheimer’s Association‘s 2019 Walk to End Alzheimer’s!
1) The Walk to End Alzheimer’s is the world’s largest event to raise funds and awareness
Did you know that the Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s is the world’s largest event to raise funds and awareness for Alzheimer’s care, support and research? The Walk is held in more than 600 communities around the nation!
The Walk to End Alzheimer’s is a family friendly event where the Birmingham community can come together to support those affected by Alzheimer’s.
2) Help fund Alzheimer’s care, support and research at The Walk to End Alzheimer’s
When you participate in the Walk, your fundraising dollars fuel the mission of the Alzheimer’s Association. This event calls on participants of all ages to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research.
- Location: Sloss Furnaces – 20 32nd St N. Birmingham, AL 35222
- Route Distance: 2 Miles
- Date: Sunday, September 29
- Time: Registration/doors open at 1:00 pm, Walk Ceremony at 3:00pm, Walk beings at 3:15pm
- To Register: Register online, at Paint the Night Purple, or at the Walk
Additionally, you can register to join the volunteer committee and help plan and carry out the Walk!
“To watch a loved one battle this awful disease and to watch a loved one care for them is heartbreaking and inspirational. I walk to honor the memory of my wonderful Mom, Glenda, who passed away in December, and my precious Daddy, Robert, who took such great care of her during our family’s 10 year journey. I want to find a cure to end Alzheimer’s forever and to finally meet the first survivor.”Renee Jones, volunteer on the Walk Planning Committee and longtime Walker
There are a ton of great reasons to participate!
- In the Kids Zone, children can have their face painted, get balloon art, and even toss a ball with the Birmingham Vulcans Rugby Team!
- Do you know who else loves to walk? Dogs! Luckily, the Walk to End Alzheimer’s is pet friendly!
- Participants at the Walk can enjoy refreshments from Steel City Pops and Magic City Snow Cones. Even better, a portion of the proceeds goes to the Alzheimer’s Association!
3) Whether you decide to walk or not, you can support The Alzheimer’s Association at Paint the Night Purple, September 20, 7PM at Innisfree Pub
- Where: Innisfree Irish Pub, 710 29th St S #2810, Birmingham, AL
- When: Friday, 9/20 from 7pm to 10pm (wear your purple!)
- Cost: Free, but a donation at the door is encouraged
Another great way to support the Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s is to come out to the 3rd Annual Paint the Night Purple at Innisfree Irish Pub.
Paint the Night Purple is a fun event where you can meet your Walk Planning Committee members, other walkers, and learn more about the Walk. Haven’t registered yet? No problem, they can help get you registered!
Additionally, Innisfree will donate a portion of the proceeds to the Alzheimer’s Association! Don’t forget to wear purple to support the cause!
Bonus! Food by Post Office Pies will be available (yum!)
Alzheimer’s disease over 5 million people throughout or country, and over 93,000 right here in Alabama. However, with your help, the Alzheimer’s Association will get one step closer towards finding the cure. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram (@endalzbhamal) to stay updated on Walk news and upcoming events!