Read Time 2 Minutes
Local companies and organizations are providing some much-needed shutdown relief for federal employees in Birmingham. Check out Great Harvest Bread Company’s shutdown shelf, the Junior League of Birmingham Diaper Bank and discounts at three Tonya Jones SalonSpa locations.
Shutdown Shelf at Great Harvest Bread Company
Great Harvest Bread Company in Trussville now offers a “shutdown shelf.” Federal employees with ID can pick up a free loaf of bread and other yummies. A good cookie can brighten anybody’s day.
- Where: 218 Main St Suite 110, Trussville, AL 35173
- When: Mon.-Fri. 7AM-7PM; Sat. 7AM-4PM
- What you get: bread and other goodies, too
- What you need to qualify: government employee ID
Diaper Bank at Junior League of Birmingham
Starting January 23, 2019, the Junior League of Birmingham Diaper Bank is offering free diapers and wipes to furloughed government employees. The Diaper Bank will continue as long as the shutdown and supplies last.
- Where: JLB Headquarters (2212 20th Avenue South, 35223)
- When: Mon.-Fri. 8AM-4PM
- What you get: one bundle of diapers and wipes per child in need per household per visit
- What you need to qualify: parent/guardian ID, proof of government employment and proof of guardianship
Support the Diaper Bank
Bring diaper donations and wipes to JLB Headquarters during regular business hours. Would you rather give money? Then donate online at jlbonline.com/system/donate_summary/. Select “Diaper Bank” from the drop-down menu.
Cut and Color Discounts at Tonya Jones SalonSpa
When budgets tighten, self care is often the first to go. Fortunately, three Tonya Jones SalonSpa locations are giving federal workers a break. On Thursdays, customers with a government or military ID get 50 percent off haircuts and 20 percent off color treatments.
“The government shutdown has taken a toll on many residents and their families who are uncertain about the future. Offering discounts to government employees is just one way we can give back and let them know that we are here for them.”Tonya Jones, CEO and founder,Tonya Jones SalonSpa
- English Village: 2410 Fairway Dr, Birmingham AL 35213
- Cahaba Village: 2800 Cahaba Village Plaza, Ste 280, Birmingham AL 35243
- LUXE by Tonya Jones SalonSpa at Saks Fifth Avenue: 129 Summit Blvd, Birmingham AL 35243
- When: Thursdays, 7AM-8PM; book at tonyajonessalon.com/book-online
- What you get: 50% off haircuts; 20% off color treatments
- What you need to qualify: government or military ID
Do you know a local business or organization that’s offering shutdown relief in ways big or small? Then send an email to email@example.com. Use “Shutdown Relief” in the subject line so we know what it’s about.
Also, don’t miss last week’s coverage on AT&T’s and Jacksonville State University’s shutdown relief efforts.