Located at 1023 20th St South in Birmingham, Hotel Indigo recently completed a $5 million renovation to feature 63 rooms that are pet friendly. The boutique hotel also features the Rx Lounge, with a design nod to the building’s history as the Medical Arts Building.
Also, Smoked Cocktails!
The Rx Lounge at Hotel Indigo offers a fun atmosphere, and the staff is super friendly. The smoke-inhalation machine—with its tubes and whirls and, well, smoke—has a way of captivating you (me).
I tried a smoked Negroni, and my pal tried a Smoked Manhattan. The smoke flavor was strong. Tasty, too, and just fine for something different and new. Not sure if I could handle more than one.
There are lots of other medical decor touches inside the Rx Lounge, too, like bitters in test tubes and beakers for mixing cocktails. It’s a nod to the building’s former life as Birmingham’s Medical Arts Building, built in 1931.
Dr. Feel Good Approves
While the redesign, features the hotel’s history as a medical arts building with apothecary, pharmacy and medical themes, it’s also very colorful.
The original detailed ceiling was preserved and accented with LED lighting, and the medical insignia was left untouched on the elevator doors. Other amenities include:
- Guest rooms with lounge chairs
- 49” HDTVs,
- High-speed internet access
- Work spaces.
- The hotel’s 28 suites also include a sitting area with wet bar, Keurig coffee machine and mini-refrigerator in the living room.
- Additional hotel amenities include Aveda bath products, spa-like showers, fitness center, valet parking and luxury linens.
- Oh, and it’s pet friendly!