Hey, did you watch Senator Doug Jones being sworn in today? Catch the video here. Also, check out these Birmingham folks working for him.
Senator Jones’ senior staff advisors include the Democratic party’s only African-American to serve as a chief of staff. Do you know Dana Gresham?
Things To Know:
- Gresham is a native of Birmingham and graduated from A. H. Parker High School in 1989.
- He earned his undergraduate degree from Georgetown University.
- Gresham has more than 22 years of experience working for the U.S. government, in both the legislative and executive branches.
- Under the Obama Administration Gresham led the Legislative Affairs Office at the U.S. Department of Transportation. He served as the Assistant Secretary for Governmental Affairs for eight years.
- Gresham also served 14 years on Capitol Hill. For 11 of those years, he worked in the Alabama congressional delegation.
- Before joining Senator-elect Doug Jones’s staff, Gresham worked in the private sector as a consultant for Federal City Council.
- Jones is the only Democratic senator to have an African-American as his chief of staff. Republican Sens. Tim Scott, of South Carolina, and Jerry Moran, of Kansas, both have black chiefs of staff.
Other Staff Hired
- Mark Libell has been hired as Jones’ legislative director. He is a native of Florence, Alabama, a graduate of Maryville College. He received his JD from the University of Alabama School of Law and a Tax LLM from Georgetown University Law Center. Libell previously served as Legislative Director to Senator John D. Rockefeller IV of West Virginia.
- Jones named Sonceria Ann Bishop-Berry his transition advisor. She is a native of Birmingham and graduated from J.H. Phillips High School and the University of North Alabama. She moved to Washington, DC to work for the late Senator Howell Heflin in 1979. Since Heflin’s, she has worked for Senators Daniel Patrick Moynihan, John Edwards, Tom Carper and as deputy chief of staff to Patrick Leahy.
- Jones chose Katie Campbell, of Montevallo to be deputy legislative director. Campbell most recently handled health policy for Senator Joe Donnelly of Indiana.