CHARACTERISTICS OF WORK:
This is mechanical work with responsibilities for coordinating activities involved in producing and distributing heat, hot water, chilled water and air conditioning to the entire Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex by operating, maintaining and repairing the Mechanical Plant equipment such as boilers, pipe systems, pumps, hot water generators, and air-cooling units. COMPETENCIES The following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position. An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time. These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the job. Employees in this position may be evaluated on these competencies as part of the performance appraisal system. Communication and Customer Service
- Demonstrates an advanced ability to follow verbal and written communications, regarding mechanical needs, event needs, and distributes to appropriate internal and external departments, if necessary.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak, write, and interact in a tactful and persuasive manner in both a work and public setting. Responds to mechanical issue/complaints in verbal and written form.
- Demonstrates an ability to document and maintain records, recordings, etc., relating to chemical readings, when making rounds.
- Demonstrates an advanced ability to anticipate mechanical needs and be proactive in communicating problems, solutions, etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop positive working relationships with event managers, promoters, exhibitors, patrons, and other internal customers to deliver seamless service delivery for mechanical needs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer and quality service by communicating customer service philosophies and standards and orienting others in effective customer service strategies. Encourages others to continually improve the customer’s maintenance experience.
Technical Expertise & Knowledge
- Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of principles, terms, techniques, procedures for starting and operating air handler units, boilers and chillers.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to make work independently to maintain water softeners and keep chemicals at a proper level.
- Demonstrates an ability to maintain, start and stop ice machine for ice shows in the Arena.
- Demonstrates an ability to start, operate and maintain cooling tower fans.
- Demonstrates an ability to maintain and change filters in air handlers.
- Demonstrates an ability to plan, schedule, operate and maintain all mechanical equipment to ensure proper temperature for shows and other Convention Complex events. Paints MP equipment and piping as part of maintenance.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding and ability to ensure that the Mechanical Plant operations stay within the K.V.A. limit.
- Demonstrates an ability to operate and maintain computer systems for HVAC.
- Demonstrates an ability to monitor and maintain correct chemical levels for open and closed loop systems for HVAC.
- Demonstrates ability to makes decisions independently and address issues, complaints, and needs, as a part of the group decision-making process.
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines, define, measure and evaluate to prioritize one’s own work.
- Demonstrates a willingness and cooperative manner to perform other related duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma or G.E.D. Trade or technical school training in HVAC preferred. Minimum of two (2) years related knowledge, experience and skills in the operation of a modern Mechanical Plant. Knowledgeable of the practices, methods, tools, materials and equipment in associated work. Ability to locate and troubleshoot defects and problems; ability to work unsupervised after being instructed on tasks; ability to understand oral and written instructions in English. Ability to work under pressure and work extended and/or irregular hours including day, nights, weekends, and holidays as needed. Ability to be supervised and work cooperatively with co-workers and provide good internal and external customer service. Ability to use and care for general maintenance tools and equipment. Must have basic computer skills. Valid State of Alabama Driver License. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Position may require lifting, climbing, carrying, bending, stooping, squatting and kneeling for extended periods of time. Extensive walking and or standing. Ability to lift 35 – 50 pound items, while maintain good balance. Must be flexible enough to reach above shoulder level and be able to push and pull for extended periods of time. This position may have a moderate to extensive stress level associated with dealing with crowds of public visitors. Position is routinely required to work outdoors and is exposed to the elements (heat, rain, etc.).