Website United Way of Central Alabama
Assist VITA Director with oversight of program operations for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, including volunteer development, direct supervision of volunteers and site operations, and ensuring volunteer compliance with IRS requirements, and with Covid-19 safety protocols.
- Complete annual IRS Certifications at the Advanced Level, and all other required Site Coordinator training, as well as other training as identified to strengthen depth of tax law knowledge.
- Supervise work of volunteer tax preparers to ensure accuracy of return preparation and adherence to IRS Quality Site Requirements, certification levels, as well as any and all federal, state, and/or local policies and funder regulations.
- Assist with, or upon request lead, training sessions for volunteers, and follow up with volunteers after training to assist with questions to complete the certification process.
- Mentor volunteers to develop their capacity, including responding to questions about process, software, tax law or logistics, and ensure volunteers sign in and out to document their time contributed.
- Assist with coordination of customer scheduling and volunteer scheduling as requested.
- Assist with preparation and quality review as required to ensure accurate and timely completion.
- For mobile events, check packing list to make sure all supplies are ready for the event. Arrive well in advance of first appointment to make sure all equipment is set up and working, and all supplies are set up appropriately. Assist volunteers in managing event, and at end of event ensure all equipment and supplies are successfully returned to United Way, and any confidential materials are delivered to secure locked filing cabinet.
- Assist VITA Director with management of work-in -process, ensuring returns are prepared on a first-in, first-out basis, reconciling with the appointments for the upcoming day to ensure all returns are prepared and quality reviewed for the following morning. This will include management of cases received through GetYourRefund Online Intake, and from in-person appointments.
- Ensure all completed returns to be electronically filed are submitted within 24 hours, preferably at the end of the same day, and monitor to identify returns with error messages to ensure they are resolved appropriately.
- Maintain daily logs of return production for program management and reporting.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of personal income tax law at state and federal level
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and ability to learn to troubleshoot software issues
- Able to work as a team member with volunteers and customers of diverse backgrounds and abilities
Bachelors degree preferred and/or five to ten years professional work experience. Experience training and supervising volunteers, and professional experience with financial skills preferred.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license
- Reliable transportation
- Proof of automobile insurance commensurate with State law
- Background checks to include but not limited to criminal record, drug screen, and TB test
- Normal office environment with occasional overtime and travel throughout the state
- Weekend and/or evening work seasonally required.