This is skilled labor work responsible for setting up equipment (chairs, event staging, tables, various flooring, skirting tables, placing of table cloths, etc.) for all events held in the BJCC arena and other venues, as required. Also is responsible for minor repair/maintenance of broken equipment, upkeep, and flooring in the arena.
The following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position. An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time. These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the job. Employees in this position may be evaluated on these competencies as part of the performance appraisal system.
Technical Expertise and Knowledge
- Demonstrates full performance ability to setup chairs, tables, flooring, equipment, and supplies as instructed for events.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain set up inventory.
- Demonstrates ability to clean equipment, storage rooms, and tool rooms.
- Demonstrates an ability to transport equipment with use of forklift and other machinery, as necessary.
- Demonstrates an ability to load and unload trucks and other vehicles.
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines, define, measure and evaluate to prioritize one’s own work.
- Demonstrates a willingness and cooperative manner to perform other related duties as required.
Communication and Customer Service
- Demonstrates an advanced ability to follow verbal and written communications, regarding setup needs, event needs, and distributes to appropriate internal and external departments, if necessary.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak, write, and interact in a tactful and persuasive manner in both a work and public setting. Responds to setup issue/complaints in verbal and written form.
- Demonstrates an ability to document and maintain records, recordings, etc., relating to repair, maintenance and preventive maintenance of equipment and tasks.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop positive working relationships with event managers, promoters, exhibitors, patrons, and other internal customers to deliver seamless service delivery for setup and repair needs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer and quality service by communicating customer service philosophies and standards and orienting others in effective customer service strategies. Encourages others to continually improve the customer’s setup experience.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. Trade or technical school training in related discipline preferred.
Minimum of one (1) year related knowledge, experience and skills in similar position.
Knowledgeable of the practices, methods, tools, materials and equipment used in maintenance and repairs.
Knowledge of the occupational hazards of building trades and of necessary safety precautions.
Ability to work unsupervised after being instructed on tasks.
Ability to understand oral and written instructions in English.
Ability to work under pressure and work extended and/or irregular hours including day, nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Ability to be supervised and work cooperatively with co-workers and provide good internal and external customer service.
Ability to use and care for general maintenance/hand tools, repair tools and equipment.
Ability to safely operate a forklift; certification required.
Basic computer skills is a plus.
Valid State of Alabama Driver License.
Position requires lifting, climbing, carrying, bending, stooping, squatting and kneeling for extended periods of time. Extensive walking and or standing. Ability to lift up to 100 pound items, while maintaining good balance. Must be flexible enough to reach above shoulder level and be able to push and pull for extended periods of time. This position may have a moderate to extensive stress level associated with dealing with crowds of public visitors. Position may be required to work outdoors and exposed to the elements (heat, rain, etc.).