Read Time 2 Minutes
Opportunity Alabama (OPAL) – a nationally recognized nonprofit that has become the economic development engine for Alabama’s Opportunity Zones – is hiring a Manager / Director (depending on experience) to help us deploy our first real estate fund and build our operating business investment strategy. We are looking for an investment analyst that can also function as a problem solver, relationship builder and program manager.
Key responsibilities include:
- Performing intake and evaluation on real estate (primary) and operating business investment opportunities (secondary).
- Analyzing and stress testing financial models in Excel, and assisting in preparation of memos and presentations to our investment committee.
- Implementing impact assessments and impact tracking across our pipeline.
- Managing the data aspects of Rural Recovery Accelerator program, including:
- Building community data profiles for our target Alabama geographies;
- Performing comparative market analysis; and
- Developing demand study templates for various industries, then applying those templates to our projects.
- Assisting others on the team with sourcing real estate and operating business deals, and connecting projects with capital sources, on an as-needed basis.
- Helping with organizational / administrative tasks on an as-needed basis.
Critical Attributes – we’re looking for someone who:
- Is or has been an analyst (with commercial real estate investment experience
as a plus, but not a prerequisite).
- Has strong Excel / modeling skills (with experience with other analytics tools
like ESRI, CoStar, or ArcGIS a plus)
- Has strong written and oral communications skills.
- Is a problem solver who doesn’t wait to be “told what to do.”
- Is highly organized, with strong time and project management skills.
- Has the business sophistication to identify what drives investor interest in different kinds of projects (residential real estate vs. biotech startups, for example), and the critical thinking ability to model answers to those questions without a roadmap.
- Takes direction and is willing to be a team player (even if that means scheduling meetings, doing expense reimbursements or ordering supplies).
- Is comfortable with the fluid organizational structure of a young enterprise.
- Cares deeply about leaving the world a better place than they found it – and is willing to work hard to make that happen.
If you are interested, please send an updated resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you believe you are a strong candidate to info[at]opportunityalabama.com. We are looking to fill this position during Q2 of 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org