Website Children's of Alabama
Directs and supervises all nurses at both locations of Pediatrics East. Provides competent, quality, and cost-effective evidence-based nursing care for patients/families. Applies the nursing process within the context of the organization’s framework. Collaboratively manages the patient’s transitions across the continuum of care and assist patients in achieving or maintaining an optimal level of health. Is recognized as a professional role model and clinical expert and promotes a professional environment that supports continuous learning. Delegates and supervises work appropriately. Reports to the Practice Manager.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assists in establishing and maintaining a therapeutic and safe environment that facilitates and supports Health Care Team practice, based upon current standards, in order to achieve quality patient outcomes.
- Supports a patient first culture that fosters a high level of patient satisfaction.
- Supports a professional atmosphere and an environment of coaching and development that supports shared governance and a high level of employee satisfaction.
- Collaborates with physician and management in the assessment of nursing staff competencies. Participates in assessing nursing staff performance against objectives; coaches, mentors, and develops employees to achieve behaviors aligned with the organization’s vision, mission and values, and performance standards. Participates in nursing staff hiring, disciplinary actions and termination as needed. Completes orientation and training of new nursing staff.
- Provides clinical leadership through role modeling professional behaviors, maintaining role accountabilities among the nursing staff and acting as a resource in the clinical management of patients.
- Publishes and maintains nursing work schedule (including but not limited to daily assignment, late-night, laboratory support) in accordance with established protocol; makes scheduling recommendations to management.
- Coordinates and schedules annual laboratory training/competencies and new hire x-ray training for nurses.
- Participates in the formulation, implementation, maintenance and evaluation of departmental goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in the implementation and monitoring of practice assessments and audits, including but not limited to quality assurance, monthly pharmacy survey, handwashing survey, temperature logs.
- Assesses patient care needs, establishes priorities and delegates tasks to nursing staff and ancillary support personnel as appropriate.
- Monitors and ensures all nursing staff meet Alabama Board of Nursing and COA licensure requirements e.g., CEUs, BLS recertification, RN license renewal.
- Generates monthly reports to identify patients needing an office visit (e.g. annual well check, patient not seen in three years, immunizations not up-to-date, bi-annual asthma recheck…) and contact patients for scheduling.
- Assists management with ensuring compliance with practice and hospital policies, procedures, OSHA, and Joint Commission regulations/standards and takes corrective action when deficiencies occur.
- Attends weekly practice team leader meetings, and physician management meetings.
- Maintains communication, with the Practice Coordinator in the absence of the practice manager for the purpose of coordinating daily operations between the two offices.
- Serves as a patient advocate by communicating clinical concerns in a timely manner to other members of the health care team.
- Rotates biweekly between both locations (50% administrative duties and 50% clinical duties at each location). Participates in nursing rotations including but not limited to, flu clinics and afterhours clinics.
- Vaccine Management: Place weekly order and maintain adequate levels of vaccines and associated supplies for both locations.
- Assist management with recertifications in Physician Quality Improvement Programs including but not limited to NCQA Patient Centered Medical Home.
- Delivers direct patient care and other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: RN – Alabama Nursing license required; Bachelor’s degree in Nursing is preferred.
PRIOR EXPERIENCE Minimum four years of nursing management experience required; primary care practice experience is preferred.
PROBLEM SOLVING Job requires a high level of problem-solving skills to identify solutions to difficult human, technical, clinical or administrative problems.
INTERNAL CONTACTS Internal contacts necessary to effectively advise, consult or counsel others to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas or actions.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS Primary responsibility: individual contributor, but also supervises nursing staff; participates in appraising performance, hiring and firing
Pediatrics East Trussville and Pinson