Website KoBold Metals Company
Business Development Analyst
About the company
KoBold Metals is exploring for new sources of materials for lithium-ion batteries, with a focus on cobalt, an essential material for durable, high-capacity batteries. As electric vehicles (EVs) become widespread, many new cobalt mines will be needed, and the discovery of new cobalt deposits will limit the pace of EV adoption.
KoBold Metals is a sophisticated exploration company created to meet this challenge with a world-class team, a focus on fundamental science, advanced use of big data and statistical modeling, and patient, private capital. KoBold is building a portfolio of exploration- and development-stage assets and will develop those opportunities through feasibility study, monetizing projects prior to construction. KoBold is pioneering Machine Prospecting—the application of statistical modeling, big data aggregation, and basic science to materially improve the pace and efficacy of natural resources exploration. We are building proprietary software tools to accelerate discovery by enabling us to efficiently screen many more potential battery metal prospects and make our search more effective by highlighting the most promising locations for further evaluation.
KoBold Metals is backed by Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz.
About the position
The Analyst will conduct KoBold’s economic analysis of potential opportunities and transactions, and will be a key contributor to the commercial evaluation of potential asset transactions. As KoBold is currently building its portfolio, the Analyst will support originating, negotiating, and especially underwriting asset acquisitions. The Analyst will provide critical input into the company strategy and work closely with the geology team in evaluating potential projects.
The Analyst will be deeply involved in all KoBold transactions and will be individually responsible for rigorous analysis of economics and potential risks. This position will require developing a comprehensive view of development-stage opportunities, aggressively prioritizing opportunities according to KoBold’s strategy, and doing economic analyses to rapidly screen potential projects and to inform KoBold’s exploration strategy. Over time, the Analyst will develop be expected to develop a view of the global market for battery materials.
The Business Development Analyst will:
- Develop economic models for different styles of mineral deposits and use economic analyses to inform our global exploration strategy
- Individually build and maintain very detailed economic models of potential projects
- Assist in or independently conduct commercial due diligence on potential acquisitions, including financial modeling, consideration of land tenure, regulatory matters, and other above-ground risks
- Support deal structuring and negotiation, including document preparation and review, and help drive transactions to completion
- Speak with potential counterparties and effectively screen opportunities according to KoBold’s strategy and transactability
- Partner with the geologic team to acquire new mineral titles on greenfield opportunities from the relevant ministerial authorities
- Create a comprehensive global view of the battery materials supply market and generate potential opportunities
A great Business Development Analyst candidate will have:
- Demonstrated ability to independently structure economic analysis, build requisite models, complete analysis, and effectively communicate results and conclusions to stakeholders and decision-makers.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in a natural resources (metals & mining or oil & gas) exploration, development, or operating company; or in allied professional services (e.g., engineering/geoscience/consulting/finance).
- Experience in evaluating the economics/commercial potential of ore-deposit developments
- Experience in successfully completed corporate and/or asset transactions
- A high standard of analytical rigor and enjoyment in getting the details right
- The ability to work with technical subject matter experts
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity
It is helpful but not required to have:
- Professional experience as a mining engineer, metallurgist/processing engineer, or geologist, whether for an operating company, investor, or professional service firm
- A degree in an engineering, mathematics, or physical science discipline
- Experience with the Python programming language
- Fluency in one or more relevant foreign languages
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Location: Preferred locations are Vancouver, BC, Berkeley, CA, or Birmingham, AL. Remote work is a possibility, particularly if based in a location with significant mineral exploration deal flow. Must be able to travel internationally.
Interested applicants should contact Jeff Jurinak, firstname.lastname@example.org.