Website KoBold Metals
About the company
KoBold Metals is exploring for new sources of cobalt, the most critical material for electric vehicles. Cobalt is a metal that is necessary for making safe, durable, fast-charging, high-capacity lithium-ion batteries. As electric vehicles (EVs) become widespread, many new cobalt mines will be needed, and the discovery of new cobalt deposits will limit the pace of EV adoption. The incumbent cobalt supply is challenged with severe labor and ethical issues, so KoBold’s objective is to help enable the EV revolution by finding many new sources of ethical cobalt from reliable jurisdictions. We will achieve that objective by combining an outstanding team of geoscientists with outstanding data scientists are building proprietary tools to accelerate discovery of new supplies of cobalt.
About the position
In this role, you will have the primary responsibility for financial administration of the company, including overseeing the financial records, preparing financial statements, establishing and implementing financial policies, forecasting expenses, budget reconciliation, and overseeing procurement of goods and services. You will report to the CFO and have the support of a bookkeeper who has been working with the company since inception. Since KoBold is a small startup company, your role will be dynamic and will have a significant secondary role across all company operations, ranging from negotiating and managing contracts, to employment compliance, to setting up new subsidiary entities.
The Controller will:
- Keep the company financial records
- Oversee a contract bookkeeper
- Prepare GAAP financial statements and perform monthly reconciliations
- Retain tax advisors and coordinate tax return preparation in all relevant jurisdictions (US federal, several US states, and foreign countries which to date includes Canada but will soon also include other countries)
- Coordinate an annual audit
- Manage the company’s payroll system, including PTO and sick leave policies
- Manage payment of vendors and reimbursement of employees through already-established payment and expense-management systems
- Manage cash accounts
- Provide insightful financial analyses to the management team, including cost allocations by project and budget vs. actuals, and identifying cost reduction opportunities
- Coordinate necessary filings and payments to maintain corporate entities in good standing in each jurisdiction, in coordination with company counsel
- Manage contracts, including those for all non-technical goods and services (e.g., office leases)
- Oversee procurement of other non-technical goods and services (e.g., insurance policies)
- Figure out what else is needed to support company operations and proactively pursue it
- A Controller candidate must have:
At least 2 years as a Controller, Financial Manager, Finance Director, or equivalent role in a for-profit US company
- Substantial experience with:
- Preparing GAAP financial statements
- Audits and tax preparation, either as an employee or as a client of a CPA firm
- Standard accounting and expense software
- The ability to quickly learn new tools as needed
- A high degree of independence and the ability to work effectively with limited supervision; you will report to the CFO, but the CFO’s primary responsibility is business development rather than internal financial operations
- Excitement about being part of a global startup company in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Interest in contributing broadly to the the success of the company beyond accounting and finance
It is helpful but not required to have:
- Experience with any of the following:
- Natural resource companies, especially mining or oil & gas
- Software companies
- Different types of business entities (C-corps, LPs, LLCs)
- Businesses that have wholly and/or partially owned subsidiaries
- Business that have presences in foreign countries
- CPA certification
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Location: KoBold Metals is happy to consider applicants in any U.S. location who are interested in working remotely. The employee may work from a home office, or the company will provide office space in the employee’s location. The KoBold Metals CFO is in the Birmingham, Alabama area, so candidates in this location are especially encouraged.