GUEST EXPERIENCE TEAM SPECIALIST
Reports to: Guest Experience Team Assistant Manager
Department: Guest Experience Department
The Guest Experience Team Specialist (also known as GET Specialist I) is responsible for providing outstanding guest services and creating a memorable experience for all guests of the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex. The GET Specialist must be able to effectively communicate information verbally and graphically regarding the event, building and the City of Birmingham. The GET Specialist must offer assistance to attendees throughout all areas of the BJCC. The expression “Going above and beyond” is a normal operating standard for this position. Additionally, the GET Specialist is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness, comfort, safety and overall appearance of his/her assigned area. The GET Specialist reports to the GET Expert, who is responsible for performance reviews and work assignments.
The following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position. An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time. These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the job. Teammates in this position may be evaluated on these competencies as part of the performance appraisal system.
Communication and Customer Service
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively communicate in writing, in person, by telephone or by email with external and internal guests, representing the BJCC in a positive manner to customers, the public, government and other external sources.
- Demonstrates an ability to direct guests to events, meetings, answer inquiries, etc. Expected to respond to guest inquiries and concerns promptly and with courtesy.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak, and interact with guests in a tactful and persuasive manner. Maintains a level of patience with guests during all interactions, especially (complaints, lost items and general directions).
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze and evaluate information and results to choose the best solution for conflict resolution and problem solving. Shares information with other team members, as needed to ensure an outstanding guest experience.
- Demonstrates a commitment to guest/customer and quality service by communicating customer service philosophies and standards and orienting others in effective customer service strategies. Encourages others to continually improve the guest experience. Ensures the message is consistent and in line with directions given by the Manager.
Technical Expertise and Knowledge
- Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of principles, terms, techniques, and procedures for delivering a phenomenal guest experience, to include communication and responsiveness to guests.
- Demonstrates an ability to escort guest as requested to areas on property.
- Demonstrates an ability to maintain current knowledge of the BJCC procedures and guest-relation information including, but not limited to: facility general information, building operating procedures, general event information, Taxi/transportation assistance, airport information, Birmingham area, lost items hold, assistance and return, incident report, etc.
- Demonstrates an ability to write a legible, grammatically correct incident report, outlining the basic components of a report.
- Demonstrates an ability to maintain current knowledge of emergency procedures and safety procedures for the BJCC in all matters, such as: responds appropriately to emergency situations, responds to safety hazards according to BJCC procedures (examples include, but are not limited to: water on floor, objects blocking doors, electrical cords untapped in traffic routes, etc.). Effectively assist guest to locations of safety in the event of an evacuation, based on company policy and management instruction.
- Demonstrates an ability to ensure that all lights and equipment are turned off in areas that are not in operation; examine doors, windows and gates to ensure they are secure in areas that are not being used. Report to correct department if needed.
- Demonstrates an ability to recognize suspicious acting persons and persons with inappropriate behavior and report it to the proper department or management. Report and log data on unusual occurrences such as property damage, injuries, theft, etc. Gathers information by obtaining statements from victims, witnesses and suspects. Prepare error-free daily activity logs and reports. Provide oral and written updates to GET Expert (as required).
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines and prioritizes and sets deadlines for one’s own work.
- Demonstrates an advanced proficiency to use a range of current and modern job-related equipment, computer hardware, software applications, and best practices.Demonstrates and ability to learn new concepts and programs such as BJCC event software (ConCentrics, ISAC), monitor digital cameras, read public information boards, etc.
- Demonstrates an ability to be supervised, get along with others, contribute to the team effort by accomplishing related results, and flexibility to perform other tasks as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED; some college or business courses preferred.
Minimum experience: two years in customer service, hospitality, hotel, convention center or related industry is preferred. Certification in first aid and CPR desired
Knowledge of business writing, English, spelling, arithmetic and vocabulary. Knowledge of research techniques and report writing, demonstrating an ability to communicate clearly and effectively both in writing and orally.
Ability to professionally interact with customers and the public via the telephone and in person in a pleasant and courteous manner. Answer questions in a clear, well-modulated voice.
Ability to act happy at all times.
Ability to interact with a diverse group of guests in high pressure situations; interfacing with guests by moving with a crowd or large group is required.
Ability to remember and recall names, locations and functions of offices and personnel served.
Ability to read and understand schedules of events and answer inquiries concerning events.
Ability to maintain effective relationships and to resolve conflicts with courtesy and diplomacy.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Must have a basic proficiency in computer skills, to include but not limited to: Microsoft Office, familiar with internet use and electronic use.
Ability to be supervised and work cooperatively with management and teammates.
Ability to work extended/irregular hours as necessary including days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Must maintain a professional and inviting appearance, as defined by policy, at all times.
Prolonged standing (90%), walking, talking and hearing are required throughout the shift. Occasional sitting, kneeling, stooping, bending, crawling/crouching and smelling are required. Position may require some lifting, carrying, bending, stooping, pushing and pulling up to 25 lbs. Position requires the ability to clearly and effectively hear noises and sounds from afar and near; noise level during events is moderately loud. Position requires vision ability: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and ability to adjust focus. The employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.This position may have a moderate to extensive stress level associated with public service. Must be able to hear and understand spoken words on the telephone and in person, with or without accommodations, and speak and read in English. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and competencies of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description. The BJCC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. This organization uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.