EBSCO Industries, headquartered in Birmingham Alabama, was founded by an entrepreneur who was passionate about honoring our commitments to our customers, rejecting the status quo, and seeking to continuously improve our team. We continue to operate that way today, with a passion for our people and our businesses succeeding together. EBSCO has a variety of businesses that are within 5 different industries including Information Services, Publishing, Manufacturing, Real Estate and Insurance Services. We hire passionate people, driven to grow, because we know the success of EBSCO depends on the long-term success of our businesses and our teams.
Director of Compliance & Data Privacy Officer
EBSCO’s Legal Department has an exciting opportunity for a new Dir of Compliance and Data Privacy Officer to join the team! Reporting to the General Counsel, the Dir of Compliance will focus on developing and leading the Company’s Compliance Programs, with a focus on data privacy and protection. The position will interact with senior leadership and key stakeholders across EBSCO.
EBSCO Legal team is a central corporate function responsible for managing risk and advising our businesses on a wide range of critical issues. Founded in 2014, EBSCO’s Legal Department oversees all legal and compliance aspects of the Company, including general corporate, intellectual property and litigation matters.
- Develops, implements, and manages the Compliance Programs, including global privacy and data protection (including GDPR).
- Serves as the Company’s subject matter expert on compliance matters, with an emphasis on global privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
- Prepares and assists with presenting clear, accurate and timely reports on privacy and data protection risks, risk mitigation measures and compliance activities to key stakeholders, senior management and the Board of Directors/Audit Committee.
- Provides leadership and strategic guidance to Departments/Business Units in the design and evaluation of privacy and data protection related tools and projects (e.g., privacy-by-design).
- Establishes a mechanism to track access and retention of protected health information maintained by the Company.
- Develops, implements and delivers privacy and data protection communications and training.
- Collaborates with Information Security to ensure alignment between Cyber Security and Privacy and Data Protection practices. Oversees conduct of data protection impact assessments and provides support such assessments.
- In coordination with senior counsel, serves as a liaison to regulatory and data protection authorities for matters relating to privacy and data protection.
- In collaboration with other Company departments (e.g., Information Security, Corporate Quality and Vendor Management) establishes an internal and external privacy and data protection monitoring and audit program.
- Manages the collection, analysis and reporting of privacy and data protection program data and metrics for continuous process improvement.
- Participates in client meetings, sponsor audits and regulatory inspections for questions related to compliance matters, including privacy and data protection matters.
- Law degree
- 2-5 years’ experience with U.S. and international privacy program development and management
- 1-3 years’ experience with US and European privacy and data protection laws, regulations and best practices (GDPR, Privacy Shield, etc.)
- Experience with development of compliance programs.
- Experience in or knowledge of information technology.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and drive internal and external stakeholders to a decision in a corporate environment.
- Demonstrated track record of strategic communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet tight deadlines and work effectively in a multi-functional, international team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and work ethic.
- IAPP certification(s) (CIPP, CIPM, CIPT)
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.