Website Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham
The Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham is seeking a Controller to play a key role in a dynamic organization cited for its philanthropic leadership in the greater Birmingham community and the state of Alabama. The Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham has served as a permanent, charitable endowment for Jefferson, Blount, Shelby, St. Clair and Walker counties since 1959. Through grantmaking, convening and leading, the Foundation works in partnership with donors, nonprofits and the community to improve the life of the Greater Birmingham region.
The Controller has primary responsibility for the day-to-day accounting and financial reporting of the Foundation. The goal of the Controller is to ensure the overall integrity of the Foundation’s financial systems and reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive set of accounting policies and procedures to ensure effective internal controls.
- Maintain the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers while ensuring the accuracy of the financial database.
- ·Reconcile bank statements to the subsidiary reports of the general ledger. Investigate any discrepancies and work with financial institutions and staff to resolve problems.
- Process journal entries and ensure the integrity of the general ledger with regards to structure, codes, and accounts.
- Reconcile all general ledger accounts including (but not limited to) fixed assets, prepaid expenses, and grants payable.
- Prepare the monthly and quarterly reconciliations for all of the Foundation’s investment accounts.
- Maintain, monitor, and update the information on the Foundation’s various investment pools and ensure fund transactions are handled properly.
- Prepare the quarterly Investment Survey from Colonial Consulting/FAOG.
- Attend the quarterly Investment Committee meetings.
Annual External Audit/IRS 990 Preparation
- ·Assist the CFO with the management and coordination of the Foundation’s annual financial audit and the IRS 990 processes.
- Provide schedules, documents, and files to the CFO for review, and then provide the same to the auditors and tax accountants in a timely manner.
- Serve as the liaison to the external auditors during on-site field work.
- Attend the annual Audit Committee meetings.
- Grants Payable
- ·Prepare checks for competitive grants, scholarships and select donor advised grants.
- Collaborate with staff from the Programs and Development divisions during each grant cycle to ensure proper accounting of all grant funding.
- Recommend process improvements for better organizational efficiency.
- Other duties as assigned by the CFO
- Integrity, sound judgment and respect for confidentiality/discretion.
- Ability to communicate and work well with staff, donors, grantees, vendors, trustees, and other stakeholders.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail, quality and accuracy.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently.
- Ability to work within deadlines and under pressure.
- Commitment to continually learning and implementing best practices.
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree (Accounting degree preferred) AND a CPA certification.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible accounting experience. Nonprofit experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of GAAP and FASB pronouncements for nonprofits.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of the Foundation’s information management system and assist the CFO in maintaining its databases.
- Commitment to the Greater Birmingham community.
- Working knowledge of Windows, Excel, Word, and general ledger financial systems.
Please click the apply link, referencing “Controller” in the subject line. Include cover letter, resume and salary requirements. No phone calls please. Candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted individually. We regret that we cannot respond personally to each applicant.
*The Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.*