- This event has passed.
AT in the Smokey Mtns: Clingman to Fontana
November 24, 2022 @ 8:00 am - November 27, 2022 @ 3:00 pm
Come with me as I explore the AT in the Smokies. (Cross posted on Georgia Adventures and limited to 8 people total) Plan on hiking downhill from Clingman’s Dome to Fontana Dam.
This will require a Backcountry permit for $4/night. I will start with a wait-list but add people after they have paid for their permit. It is non-refundable unless I can’t secure the permit. (I will stay up until 2am thirty days before the trip to get the permits.) **venmo grace-cogar as friends/family $12 for your permit before 10/23 in order to be added to the GOING list.**
We are going to hire a shuttle driver to bring us to Clingman’s. You will need to park (free overnight) at Fontana Dam (I park next to Fontana Hilton). We will hike 40 miles over some very serious rolling hills with a total elevation loss of ~12,000 feet and elevation gain of ~8,000. This hike is NOT for the light of heart—be sure you are practicing and prepared.
Here’s who is going:
2. Diren (from CRAP)
3. Neil M. (from Georgia Adventures)
4. Bill (from Georgia Adventures)
5. Katy (from CRAP)
Some things to note:
1. I dont intend to leave anyone behind but you will enjoy yourself more if you can hike about 2 miles an hour with a 40lb bag up and down hills
2. You MUST have a way to throw a bear bag or have a bear cannister.
3. You should have the ten essentials for backpacking (headlamp, map, way to make fire, way to stay warm overnight, water filter, etc)