Read Time 4 Minutes
It’s a great time to be a college student in Birmingham, especially if you’re interested in technology. Enter Innovate Birmingham. Their mission is to connect up-and-coming local talent to numerous tech employers here in the Magic City. One way Innovate Birmingham does this is by offering scholarships to local college students.
Students attending UAB, Lawson State Community College, or Jefferson State Community College and studying tech may be eligible. Apply for one of Innovate Birmingham’s scholarships today.
“Adulting” is Hard
During my freshman and sophomore years of college, I changed my major
three five times. There were two questions on my mind.
- What do I want to do with my life?
- If I major in _______, will I find a job after graduation?
In short, there are no simple or easy answers to those questions.
But if I learned anything during Philosophy 101, it’s that we’re often starting with the wrong question. Instead of prompting an existential crisis, try asking yourself these questions.
- Am I developing well-rounded, marketable skills?
- If not, what can I do to change that?
Certainly, one solution to the second question could be strengthening your skills in technology. That’s where Innovate Birmingham’s scholarships could play a big role in your college career and beyond.
Because technology is everywhere, I’m betting you spend most of your day engaging with the digital world in some way. So, let’s dig deeper.
Do you enjoy problem solving or thrive in creative freedom? Maybe you give strong attention to details, or you have a logical or analytical mindset. I’m assuming you use apps to listen to music or even play games. Do you consider yourself adaptable?
If this describes you, you could benefit from deepening your technology skills, says Deva DeDios, Marketing Strategist at Innovate Birmingham.
According to Deva, there is a higher demand for skilled tech workers than there are workers available. As a result, there is a national employment gap in the field of technology.
Similarly, more than 800 technology-related jobs are also expected to open annually through 2026 in the Birmingham area alone. In other words, your future employment prospects are extremely high if you pursue tech.
So, take your resume to the next level and apply for Innovate Birmingham’s scholarship program.
High Praise for Innovate Birmingham’s Scholarships
But you don’t have to take my word for it. So here’s what a couple of Innovate Birmingham’s scholarship recipients have to say.
“Innovate Birmingham helped with my financial obligations and allowed my career to take off with the opportunities it provided. I was a Computer Science major at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Last summer, I had an internship at Cofense as a Threat Analyst. The company kept me part-time in my fall semester of senior year. After completing my internship, they promoted me to full-time employment.”Harsh Patel, UAB Computer Science Graduate
“Innovate Birmingham has really helped me and my family. With losing my parents at 10 years old, I gave up hope of my life going as I wanted to be successful. I was blessed to be connected with the great resources that I have received from Innovate Birmingham. I feel like I am capable of success and can provide numerous opportunities for my children.”Amanda Johnson, Computer Science student, Jefferson State Community College
Let’s Talk Details!
With Innovate Birmingham’s scholarship, you will receive $2000 per semester. That’s up to $4000 for the full academic year if you reapply each semester. In addition, candidates will be able to attend professional development and networking events. Innovate Birmingham will also help support candidates’ efforts to find IT/Technology internships and jobs.
So, here are a few things you need in order to be eligible.
- Currently reside in one of the following counties: Jefferson, Shelby, Blount, St. Clair, Chilton, or Walker
- Currently attend UAB, Lawson State Community College, or Jefferson State Community College as a full-time student
- Major or minor in a technology-related program, listed below:
- UAB: Computer Science, Information Systems, Digital Forensics, Electrical Engineering, Marketing
- Lawson State Community College: AAS in Computer Science, AS in Computer Science, Certificates in Computer Science
- Jefferson State Community College: AAS Degrees in Computer Programming, Networking or Web Technologies; Advanced Certificates in Computer Programming, Networking or Web Technologies; Certificates in Computer Programming, Networking or Web Technologies; Fast-Track Progras including Full-stack Software Development, ComTIA A+ Certification or Java
However, the best part is that there is no due date or essay question. So, it’s as simple as filling out Innovate Birmingham’s scholarship application.
I don’t know about you, but I’m convinced. So, what are you waiting for? Apply for a scholarship and take charge of your future.
Want to learn more about Innovate Birmingham’s scholarships, courses, or employer partners?
Visit their website or find them on social @Innovate_Bham on Instagram!