A small investment in negotiating skills can really pay off big. Hone yours with internationally renowned author, speaker and expert Carol Frohlinger on Friday, November 16, from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Vulcan Park and Museum. The workshop comes to Birmingham by way of Momentum, Alabama’s premier women’s leadership program. Register by Wednesday, November 14. (And, guys, this one’s for you, too.)
“Negotiation doesn’t just happen when you’re going for that next big job or promotion. It’s a skill we use every day. We have to use it with our bosses, our coworkers, our clients, our family and virtually every relationship in our lives.”April Benetollo, CEO, Momentum
Enter Carol Frohlinger. She’s an expert in the fundamentals of negotiating as well as navigating the gender-based twists and turns that can throw negotiations off course. And she’s known for helping even the most reluctant negotiators learn to negotiate with the best.
Says who? Microsoft, JPMorgan Chase, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, The Principal Financial Group, the New York State Bar Association and the National Association of Women Lawyers. That’s only a handful of the organizations that bring in Frohlinger to work with their teams.
Now Frohlinger brings her expertise to Birmingham with a one-day negotiation workshop that’s open to the public.
Register by Wednesday, November 14, for “Her Place at the Table: Keys to negotiation as women, with women and for women,” November 16 at Vulcan Park and Museum, hosted by Momentum. Tickets are $95.
Invest in Yourself—the Value Proposition
- Big money at stake. Not negotiating the salary of your very first job can have a snowball effect that can add up to $1 to $1.5 million over a lifetime, according to economist Linda Babcock of Carnegie Mellon University. Yikes. The same holds true for other milestone negotiations in your life.
- Buying a car or a house? If you’re not a savvy negotiator, you are leaving something on the table. Frohlinger provides a framework for negotiating in just about every situation.
- A change in perception. If you’re a woman, studies show you’re more likely to equate negotiating to going to the dentist. If you’re a man, you’re more likely to say it’s like winning a ballgame. (Is it any wonder men are more likely to negotiate?) With a $95 investment, women can shift their perceptions, and men will learn how negotiating with women is different.
- Avoiding fallout. Thanks to gender nuances ingrained in us through our upbringing and societal norms, women are more likely to face negative social consequences for negotiating than men are. (Blurg!) At the workshop, you’ll learn to sense gender-based cues and know how to react to avoid these pitfalls.
- Something for everyone. “Most of us look at negotiation as taking advantage of the other person because we’re assuming the other person’s going to lose,” Benetollo said. “Carol teaches you to find ways to creatively look at what you’re negotiating and find ways for everyone to leave the table feeling satisfied.”
BONUS: If you’re a CPA, this workshop is approved for behavioral continuing professional education (CPE) credit. Register by Wednesday, November 14, for Friday’s workshop.
Serving Greater Birmingham (Men Included)
“We bring in expert facilitators from all over the country for our leadership programs, but only 30 women receive that instruction at a time. Through our leadership series, we can open that up and give the business community an opportunity to take advantage of these amazing facilitators while they are in Birmingham.”April Benetollo, CEO, Momentum
Friday’s workshop is a quarterly event in Momentum’s Leadership Series for the 2018-19 year, which provides the citizens of Birmingham with professional development opportunities led by world-renowned experts.
And, take note, the series is just as much for men as it is for women.
“Momentum’s core mission is to advance women in leadership, because there’s still a sizable gender gap at the top,” Benetollo said. “That said, men can benefit just as much as women from the our leadership series because the skills are the same. The added bonus for men attending a Momentum leadership workshop is that they’ll increase their awareness of gender-based differences, and that can pay off in a big way when they work with women, manage women or sell to female buyers.”
Hey, guys, sounds like the first step down the path to that World’s Best Boss award.
Workshop: “Her Place at the Table: Keys to negotiation as women, with women and for women” with Carol Frohlinger
When and Where:
November 16, 2018, 8:30 to 11: 30 a.m., at Vulcan Park and Museum
8:30 to 9:30 a.m.—Networking and breakfast
9:30 to 11 a.m.—Negotiation workshop
11 to 11:30 a.m.—Book signing for “Her Place at the Table” with Frohlinger. Order your copy when you register for $15 (that’s 22 percent off the retail price).
$95. Includes breakfast, materials and parking.
Register by end-of-day Wednesday, November 14, 2018.