It’s a great day to begin celebrating what makes us such interesting beings. It’s Brain Awareness Week. This is a worldwide celebration of the brain that brings together scientists, families, schools, and communities.
The Dana Alliance for Brain Initiatives founded the now-global campaign in 1996. Since its start, more than 2,800 partners in 82 countries have participated in the campaign.
- The human brain is the largest brain of all vertebrates relative to body size
- It weighs about 3.3 pounds
- The brain makes up about 2 percent of a human’s body weigh
- The human brain is divided into two hemispheres, the left and right
- The left brain contains regions involved in speech and language, and is also associated with mathematical calculation and fact retrieval
- The right brain plays a role in visual and auditory processing, spatial skills and artistic ability — more instinctive or creative things
- Everyone uses both halves all of the time
Brain Awareness Week In Birmingham
Beginning Thursday, March 30, and ending Monday, April 3, you can explore and learn all about what the brain does at the McWane Science Center. Activities include a brain dissection and explorations of your five senses. Special programs will be held throughout the week including Illusion Confusion, Robo-roach and dissections of sheep brains and cow eyes.
Schedule of Events
March 30 – April 3
- 10 A.M. – Sheep Brain Dissection – in GENEius Lab
- 11:30 A.M. – Brain Waves – at Demonstration Station
- 12:00 P.M. – Illusion Confusion – in Rushton Theater
- 1:00 P.M. – Cow Eye Dissection – in GENEius Lab
- 2:00 P.M. – Protect Your Brain – at Demonstration Station
- 3:00 P.M. – Backyard Brains, Noisy Neurons – in GENEius Lab
Our brains are responsible for so many of our everyday functions we aren’t even aware of, learn all about it at the McWane Science Center.
Enjoy Brain Awareness Week and treat your brain to some foods the increase brain function like blueberries, wild salmon, nuts and seeds, and avocados.
For more events and what’s happening Birmingham, visit our Events Calendar for more things to do in the city!